Want to get your hands dirty? Interested in meeting new people and having a two-week adventure in the Pacific Northwest? Curious about what Jewish values have to do with hammers, nails and compost?
Portland, Oregon is one of America’s most vibrant and visionary cities—on the cutting edge of anti-poverty work, green building, urban agriculture, and community empowerment. Come join us and immerse yourself in this exciting mix, getting hands-on, up-close experience with grassroots social justice organizations.
During the 15-day adventure you will:
- Meet with local activists, deepening your understanding of some of today’s most pressing social issues, including housing, food, and environmental quality.
- Build your own skills and confidence as you engage in hands-on work with inspiring local groups. In the past this has included light construction, urban farming, and environmental restoration.
- Participate in Shabbat celebrations and learn how Judaism, Jewish history, and Jewish sources support us as agents of social change.
- Know that your efforts are making a difference in the lives of others.
- Explore Portland and its quirky and creative culture (with food carts and coffee shops galore!), as well as its surrounding natural beauty of waterfalls, mountains and rivers.