OUR HADRACHA SOCIAL ACTIVISM INSTITUTE IS THE PREMIERE JEWISH SOCIAL ACTIVISM AND LEADERSHIP TRAINING PROGRAM FOR TEENS TODAY.
THE HADRACHA EXPERIENCE
Join us for Tel Yehudah’s flagship summer experience! In Hadracha, you will create a real world activist campaign to make an impact around today’s most important issues, from Israel advocacy and fighting anti-Semitism to combatting human trafficking and poverty. As the oldest participants at Tel Yehudah, you will also be trained in practical leadership (hadracha) skills and have opportunities to lead camp-wide activities including Maccabia (Color War), Shabbat activities and peulot (recreational and educational activities) for the rest of camp.
Not only do Hadracha teens get all the expected fun of camp through regularly visiting our activity areas, bunk activities, our electives program, rafting on the Delaware River and camping overnight at our nature site. You will also will live, eat and sleep in intimate Machaneh Bet (Bet Camp) where teens help run the daily life of camp!
Join the Tel Yehudah and Young Judaea activism tradition. Join us this summer!
Hadracha teens will:
- Choose which of today’s most important issues you care most about and over the course of the summer explore that issue and develop an activism action plan with other teens.
- Gain a practical skill set by taking part in one of our “activism studios,” which is a 6-8 part series of workshops in which teens focus on a specific leadership area and skill sets (politics, art, outreach, etc.)
- Go to Washington, DC for a three day activism and fact-finding mission to learn more about what is being done and what could be done around your issue (see “Trip Highlights” below for more details)
- Get a taste of college by living in a George Washington University Dormitory while in Washington, DC
- Learn about our shared Jewish heritage of Jewish activism, from Abraham to Gloria Steinem
- Recruit the rest of camp to your cause through leading Tzedekapalooza!
- Go on a camping overnight at TY’s own nature reserve sight and go rafting down the Delaware River
- Lead camp-wide activities from Maccabia (color war) to Shabbat activities for the rest of camp
At the end of the summer, campers will receive an official certificate marking their completion of the Hadracha Social Activism Institute.
The DC Activism Mission sends our teens to Washington, DC to rub elbows and ask the hard questions with our nation’s leaders in Congress, government agencies and at leading global and national advocacy organizations. Teens will have a customized itinerary based on their “tikun team” issue and leadership studio issue, all while seeing the sights and sounds of our nation’s capital and getting a taste of college life in a dormitory! Some of the DC Activism Misison’s highlights include:
- Meet in person with the office of at least two US Senators or House Representatives
- Visit 2-3 leading advocacy non-governmental organizations related to your issue
- Get a taste of college by staying at a George Washington University dormitory
- Tour the sights and sounds of the National Mall and other parts of DC
- Travel around the district with your “Tikun Team” and staff by MTA (subway)
- Visit the US Holocaust Museum and other Museums on the National Mall
- Learn from accomplished Tel Yehudah alumni on our annual “YJ Alumni Panel on Political Activism”